4.07.2009

Christ lay in death's dark prison

Today marks two occasions, the latter more important than the former. First, it has been six months since my last post. And I'm okay with that. It's been an occupying six months at grad school, busy every second of every day, it seems. Second, it is the Tuesday of Holy Week.

In my experience with Holy Week, people haven't always felt its gravity as aptly as they perhaps should. I mean not to imply that deep solemnity, humility and reflection should only happen in the Christian life during these short seven days. A sober Christian life is an admirable thing. But how long were these five days to our Savior? And what are you doing, ESPECIALLY during this time, that could draw you closer or push you further from Christ? Ought not this week be an extra special period of growing in closeness to the One who hath borne our griefs and sorrows? Surely He has. And surely you must. For if He didn't, you surely would.

Sorry for the enigmatic statement there. But I trust you get the point.

I've always withdrawn from social life and my fellow man during this week. Those closest to me know well that it is certainly nothing personal. But I can't stand being around people during this time.

I would challenge you all to reflect longer, pray harder and focus and grieve deeper for this week. The Christian life is about tension and resolution. Tension in this life and resolution in the next. The concept of tension and resolution shows God's character related to us. It's all right here, in this week, folks. The perfect man has come and gone. That makes me hurt...and will soon, this year again, make me rejoice. But that will wait until Easter Sunday, my favorite holiday of the year.

I love you all, in the risen Christ.


Please enjoy the new music post - the first chorus to Bach's Cantata no. 4, entitled 'Christ lag in Todesbanden.' Christ lay in death's dark prison.




Et resurrexit...

No comments: