5.28.2008

...on the horizon

Merriam Webster Online's "Word of the Day" is: Heliolatry...

i.e. Sun worship. Intriguing. So glad we gave that up years ago.

And since this is neither here nor there, let me then begin this entry with something that IS "here", and conclude with something that is...conversely, "there", the locations of which will therefore be revealed herewith (gotta love adverbs).

Here: Connecticut. Head Teller at Salisbury Bank and Trust Company (which will henceforth be referred to as "SBT"). Family.

Since my graduation from Grove City College in May of 2007, it has been a good time overall. Naturally, there are moments where I wanted to stifle people's airways with chainsaws, but...you know. "Can't win 'em all..." (Thanks Kathyrn)

My time here has also proven itself to be a stagnant one. Not spiritually or financially, mind you. Just musically and vocationally, which for me, ideally, ought to be one and the same. I found it impossible to land a teaching job in a primary or secondary school, so I remain at SBT. I have no musical outlet, save the organist/cantor job I have on Sunday mornings at St. Joseph's Roman Catholic Church - more on this in later posts.

There (and this portion may be NEWS to some of you, which merits the point of the blog entry): New York. Houghton College. Cottage.

Seeing that my job search for the year was headed nowhere, I applied for admission to Houghton College as a Master of Music (M.M.) in Choral Conducting (two-year program). The college is in "upstate" New York and is the alma mater of Dr. Douglas and Mrs. Susan Browne of Grove City College. It is a small, private, Christian, liberal arts school, with leading departments of music, theology, and equestrian studies. Well, not only was I accepted in late March but I also received the full tuition graduate assistantship which covers all costs as related to the school. I will also be teaching undergraduate courses and directing a number of choral ensembles, namely the Houghton College Choir. In the interest of spreading out podium time equally and fairly, a M.M. in Choral Conducting is not granted on a whim. There are only a few slots, every two years - and I was granted one, so I am very excited.



Also exciting is my abode. I just recently settled on a fully furnished lakeside cottage on Rushford Lake (hence the 'lakeside') in Caneadea, NY. It has a fireplace, sleeping loft, skylights and a canoe. Incredible. Visits, should you be in the area, are strongly encouraged and welcomed.

This venture begins in late August. And I cannot wait another minute. But faith has been in the waiting, my friends. And it has been a valuable lesson. God is good, all the time. We just have to be content with HIS time and not our own.

Well, that concludes today's material. Check in tomorrow. Much like the 'heliolatrists' would say..."Good things are on the horizon..."

Oh yes, and a few addendums...


1) I don't much appreciate it when the compromising of one's principles leaves me out of the loop, thereby causing me to GAFFE. David Crosby apparently DOES now utilize "The Facebook", no doubt at the behest (i.e. COMMAND) of his lady-friend, "The Mough". Weak, Crosby...weak. AND UNCOOL. Thanks to Joel Pearce for exposing the dastard.


2) Thanks also to Elizabeth Pearce for addicting ME to "Dice Wars", which can be found to your right in my 'Favorite Links'.


3) Miracles happen. Years have past yes, and now...Brian Bain IS finally cool. Brian has gladly taken up Crosby's mantle of shunning "The Facebook". Bless you, Bain. Curse you, Crosby.


4) Michael Lyle - your knowledge is always stunning and appreciated, but I don't care about Sir Eugene "Goose-Me".

5 comments:

Unknown said...

The name of your bank makes me think of steak.

mmmmmmmm

Congrats on getting into the Houghton program.

Anonymous said...

Let's get one thing straight: a facebook account attributed to your name in no way means that you "have" or use facebook. The account which Pearce has exposed is a counterfeit and i remain uncompromisingly disdainful of the aforementioned website/"social network." That has been around since March of 2007 or something like that. I have nothing to do with it. I think an apology may be in order. A retraction will suffice.

Whom it DOES concern said...

Hey, how 'bout a little mention for your steadfast friend Me, who is apparently the ONLY person you know now to have refused "The" Facebook all along? Alllll SORTS of recognition for the weak-willed ones who have failed in their quest, or for those who had it in the past and only NOW got rid of it...but not so much as a word of praise for one who has continued to avoid it all along?

Whoremaster.

Susannah said...

“Curiosity killed the cat”, I’m afraid. There might be hope if I can prove it just an old proverb, but I’ve been killed by proverbs before. :-) You can think me a stalker if you like, but I truly just want to say hi and introduce myself, and say that I’m looking forward to working with you next year: my name is Susannah Smith, and I’m the other first-year choral conducting student in the Houghton master’s program. I’ve been deathly curious as to who the other first-years are, particularly the other choral conducting student, and so when Mrs. Airhart sent out that housing e-mail this morning google became my new best friend. I’m afraid it was already. :-) Anyway, Godspeed!

Susannah said...

Oh yes, and I forgot: Ross Kucks says hello.